June 5, 2020
Dear HMR Family,
Right now, as we struggle over the senseless killing of George Floyd and our country’s long history of racism, many of us are asking how we can effect positive change in our communities. HMR’s mission is to create strong communities where people can feel respected and valued. As a company, we have always drawn strength from our diversity and strived to create a culture that is inclusive of everyone. Now, we must do more. We need to take affirmative steps to fight racism, violence, discrimination, and hate.
- We have formed a committee, Diversity at HMR, to begin this work and we invite each of you to become a part of this effort.
- Our evolving plan is to start by listening to each other’s stories, to the voices and the experiences of people whose lives have been less safe and less just merely due to the color of their skin.
- We will provide our communities with positive messaging through posting banners such as Better Together, HMR Cares, IREACH for All and More Love, Less Fear and through positive and inclusive social media messaging.
- We will launch Vote by Mail campaigns so that all voices are heard in elections and that candidates who embody our values are elected.
- We will learn, through conversations, training and role playing, how to have difficult conversations about race and racism with our children, coworkers, and residents.
- We will work to foster trusting relationships within our communities between local police, our staff, and our residents, founded on mutual respect.
- We will promote the US Census so that our communities get their fair share of public services and congressional representation.
- We will work with Sage Housing, a non-profit organization, to raise funds to support education and awareness in our communities and with our employees.
We cannot be passive if we are to usher in the change we desperately need. Eradicating racism is not a task that is on black Americans or other people of color to solve. The system endangers us all, and it is up to all of us to do our part to dismantle the system of racism that permeates so many facets of daily life.
In the coming days and weeks, we want to work together to process and meaningfully react to the recent events that have plagued our nation. However, this must not be a fleeting moment. Our current outrage must translate into real action as we examine our individual and organizational biases and privileges. During this uncertain and difficult time, we must find strength in each other.
We are a company rich in diversity, intellect and compassion and we have a deep commitment to each other and to our residents. We hope you will join us in working for effective and enduring change.
#IREACH4All #HMRCares #BetterTogether